[Asterisk-Dev] 1.0.7 Release Candidate

Harald Milz hm at seneca.muc.de
Tue Mar 15 12:51:19 MST 2005

Kasi International <koliber at gmail.com> wrote:
> Not to put a wrinkle into this. But I have been running asterisk
> behind a nat and with a dynamic IP Address. You can register with
> dyndns.org and put your setting as externip=pbx1.homedns.org. I run

According to the source code (around line 8800 of chan_sip.c),
externip is only gethostbynamed at program start.  If the IP address
changes at some point (and most European ISPs do force disconnect
DSL every 24 hours which always gives you a new IP address, at least
for the cheapest plans), you're offline.  This is why the externhost
patch is extremely useful. Why this should not be recommended for
production use is beyond me, though... Anyway, STUN or something is
more common and should be used IMHO. Or, to keep things simple, let
the user use an external program to retrieve the current IP address
every now and then (not for each SIP packet!). I had a look at the
kphone STUN code and well, it's too QTified for my taste. The vivoda
code isn't GPL. There were several attempts to add STUN to asterisk (like
http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keating/voip/voip-blog/volunteer-asterisk-programmers-adding-stun-support-to-asterisk.asp),
but none of them ever released anything useful as it seems.

So?

--
... I'm IMAGINING a sensuous GIRAFFE, CAVORTING in the BACK ROOM of a
KOSHER DELI!!