[Asterisk-Dev] IAX friend building perf

Michael Giagnocavo mgg at Atrevido.net
Mon Mar 14 22:36:19 MST 2005

I'm trying to get a feeling for how well Asterisk can handle a large number
of users. I tried with a large number of IAX peers in the iax.conf on load:

10K    9 secs
25K   55 secs
100K  4+ minutes (then I killed it)

Checking into the code, this is because on build_peer and build_user, the
linked list of users and peers is traversed, doing string comparisons on the
name, trying to find a match. Taking this out results in linear performance.
Of course, this means no more having a single friend with multiple
[definitions].

In my own work, I'm going to comment that bit of code out, as I don't need
it to search, since I don't have multiple defs with the same name. I'm
thinking though, that'd it'd be nice to have a [general] nosamenames or
something setting to disable this via configuration.

What do you think?

-Michael