[Asterisk-Dev] rewriting asterisk as a state machine? - Not

Paul Mahler psvwm at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 4 07:52:39 MST 2005

We are getting over 5000 simultaneous calls with our PBX hardware with less
than 50% CPU utilization, so I'm not sure this is much of a problem. ;-)

TKS

Paul Mahler
www.signate.com

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:

> in current asterisk gateway setups, a set of 20 active channels
> generates something like 3500 context switches per second, giving a
> 170-200 context switches per channel per second. This is an awful lot...
It is an awful lot. But realistically, it should be at least 50 ctx switches
per channel per second (reading 20ms samples).

> Would it be possible to rewrite asterisk so as each channel's data
> read/write would be in common threads with a select() or so? what
> would this take? this really would decrease the overhead on busy systems....
That would be a heavy rewrite, changing blocking code with threads into
nonblocking code with select() - is untrivial task, and probably pointless.

CPU are cheap.

-alex

To UNSUBSCRIBE or update options visit: