[Asterisk-Dev] MOH using native codecs in stable branch

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Wed Mar 2 19:56:47 MST 2005

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Brian West wrote:

> On Mar 2, 2005, at 6:59 PM, Greg Boehnlein wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Brian West wrote:
> >
> >> Just use CVS-HEAD.... Think just because the "stable" branch has the
> >> word stable in it... doesn't mean its stable.  CVS-HEAD is no less
> >> stable than the stable branch.
> >
> > I just don't understand comments like this. The entire reason that a
> > 1.0
> > branch exists is to snapshot a release at a specific level, and work to
>
> The problem is stable is old and is missing alot of the features people
> are wanting.  Honestly we run CVS-HEAD without fail.  I can get WEEKS
> of uptime and no crashing

Weeks? :) I measure stability for my boxes in years of uptime, not weeks!

And yes, people want features AND stability, but the two do not always go
hand in hand. You can't implement new features and be assured that they
are bug-free. It doesn't work that way.

> but we have done a lot of custom mods to
> asterisk that may never make it back to the public due to the fact that
> getting patches into CVS take ages and its just a pain in the ass to
> keep patches up to date when they sit on the bug tracker and rot away.

But this is a completely unrelated issue. You can't just dismiss Stable
and tell people to use CVS-HEAD because you take issue w/ the Asterisk
development process. Well.. you can do whatever you want, but IMHO it just
looks elitist and snobby. In the end that sort of an attitude will turn
more people away from the community.

Stable works. It has issues. It doesn't have all the nifty stuff that CVS
HEAD has in it, but it also isn't SUPPOSED to.

                             KP-216-121-ST