[Asterisk-Dev] Digium's G.729A codec problem

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Mar 2 18:33:21 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-02 at 19:07 -0600, Michael Giagnocavo wrote:
> >> Try the open source implementation and let me know if you have the
> >> same problem:
> >
> >There is no OPEN SOURCE implementation of G.729.    Refrain from posting
> >illegal links.
> >
> >Jeremy McNamara
>
> Damn, better tell VoiceAge:
> http://www.voiceage.com/codecsite/openinit_g729.php

Better yet, read your own linked to page.

Or for the lazy, here is the relavent section.
---------------
 It is important to note that this version is not indemnified, which
means that this code can not be used for commercial purposes - it is
restricted to research and prototype development. If commercial
deployment is planned, you must obtain the legal rights through
licensing
This VoiceAge G.729 implementation is a derivative work that exists in
the form of object code: a set of native computer instructions readily
executable by a specific processor. The effort required to create the
implementation involved a combination of manual and automatic
translation of reference source code into highly optimized native code.

Lets see, only available in object code, must obtain legal rights. No
open source here.