[Asterisk-Dev] readable code /* New subject */

Michael Giagnocavo mgg-digium at atrevido.net
Wed Mar 2 09:05:55 MST 2005

>What would you guys/gals out there recommend as a good
>primer for learning C that will teach the correct way of
>coding from the beginning. I would like to understand more
>of what the code is about, how it works, and maybe in a
>year or so be able to contribute a little more.

What any coder should read, regardless of the language they're learning, is
Code Complete by Steve McConnell. It's full of practical suggestions on how
to structure your code and so on. It backs this up with studies done against
many projects. Everything's in here, from not nesting too deeply (*cough*
like as having 100+ lines inside a case of a switch *cough*), to different
bracing styles. It's like the bible of code readability.

(There's also a Second Edition out now, but I'd probably get slammed for
mentioning it since it also deals with Java and C# and OO, and we all know
that stuff's for people with limited IQ!)

-Michael