[Asterisk-Dev] readable code /* New subject */

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Wed Mar 2 08:01:56 MST 2005

Preston Garrison wrote:
> You know something that is highly overlooked is learning to write
> understandable code.  Alot of programmers like to write code that is a
> mess to understand.  Just because you can do something in the C language
> doesn't mean you should :)  However i have to admit out of all the open
> source projects, asterisk has some of the easiest to understand code.

Great. That statements tells me we are heading in the right direction.

Let's make it better by adding more comments and developer
documentation. Personally, I've added quite a lot of comments to
chan_sip in order to understand it better. Also to other modules as I
explore them. Funny part was, some of my comments that was commited to
cvs was totally wrong and no one seemed to bother (or propably did not
understand the code themselves). So I've changed them as I have learned
more about the inner workings. :-)

As I wrote earlier, let's clean up 1.2 and make it easy to understand
and easy to work with. Join the asteriskdocs project. Fix errors in
README files and sample configs. Add comments. Add doxygen documentation.

You will not get customers to pay for this, but it will make it much
easier the next time your customer wants a customization of some kind.

/Olle