[Asterisk-Dev] 'tonezone' in chan_zap.c

Michael Giagnocavo mgg-digium at atrevido.net
Tue Mar 1 19:42:53 MST 2005

Alex:
>I disagree. At any case, if you can't read code, and you need your hand
>held, you are not likely to be much of a contributor in future.

Yea, of course. I should have known that. I'm sure companies all over the
world just hire people and tell them to get cracking on the existing code
base, and oh, BTW, figure out what our app does. Asterisk only has about a
quarter-million lines of code. What are people complaining about?!

>> What a swell idea. Dev writes code. Is too lazy, or perhaps doesn't
>> understand it enough to document it. Solution? Tell someone else to
>> *read his mind* and *guess* what the intention of the code is. Comments
>> convey intent. Trying to capture intent after the fact doesn't work that
>> well (especially, if there's a bug...).
>I don't think you understand why people are contributing to Asterisk. We
>are not doing it to help *YOU*. We are not doing it to make the world a
>better place. We are writing code to *solve our immediate need* and
>are gracious enough to share that code with everyone else, including you.
>
>So, please, stop complaining that developers don't write documentation.
>If you don't like it - pay someone for well-documented code.

AHH! Sorry, I must have misunderstood Asterisk. I didn't realize you were
just giving me your personal one-off hacks as a gift. I thought Asterisk was
a *project*. I thought that implied some kind of level professionalism.
Again, sorry to look a gift horse in the mouth.

>code, whether you use it or not use it*. WE DO NOT CARE. NOT AT ALL.

Yea, that's the feeling I think a lot of people who go over the code get.

I'm all for flaming idiots and newbies who can't be bothered to even do a
cursory search for google, or people who post "Asterik wont start 4 me.
Help.". However, I think a dev team is held to a completely different level.
Something a lot higher than "I just committed a little hack to fix a little
problem I was having".

-Michael