[Asterisk-Dev] 'tonezone' in chan_zap.c

Michael Giagnocavo mgg-digium at atrevido.net
Tue Mar 1 18:43:21 MST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-dev-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-dev-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of
alex at pilosoft.com

>> But on -dev, the rule of the day is that questions *about* the code are
>> discouraged, even though this product is arguably the
>> least-well-documented code I have ever tried to plow through.
>Good. We need more people who *write* code, not people who have question
>on how to read code. Big difference.

Yea, one difference is that writing code is lot easier than reading, much
more easier than understanding, and quite a lot easier than being able to
debug. Anyone can go in and write code for Asterisk. I think that's quite
proven. The number of developers who have a full-end-to-end understanding of
the code, and then *gasp* an understanding of what users might expect or
need is quite a lot less.

>> In my own case, I've been reading code for weeks, trying to figure out
>> just how to use (and extend) the Realtime engine.  The Wiki has some
>> documentation, but it is cursory, self-contradictory, and in general
>> of very limited use.
>So, why aren't you contributing to Wiki and adding necessary documentation
>as you figure things out?

What a swell idea. Dev writes code. Is too lazy, or perhaps doesn't
understand it enough to document it. Solution? Tell someone else to *read
his mind* and *guess* what the intention of the code is. Comments convey
intent. Trying to capture intent after the fact doesn't work that well
(especially, if there's a bug...).

> It is free, it works, and you can improve on it. What else can you ask
>for?

Was that a joke? That sounded similar to the person who wrote "Open source
is a gift, how can you impose timelines on a gift", re: getting a project
manager for Asterisk.

Asterisk enjoys a unique advantage of currently being quite well ahead of
other similar offerings. But that's not an instrinsic.

-Michael