[Asterisk-Dev] How does Asterisk choose the CDr backend to use?

David Filion dfilion at dotality.com
Tue Mar 1 09:19:52 MST 2005

Heison Chak wrote:

>Hi David,
>
>	For future reference, please direct these type of questions
>to asterisk-users. By default, CDR will be logged to master.csv (the
>local file); if you want to disable it, you need to have:
>
>;modules.conf
>noload => cdr_csv.so
>
>	If you want CDR in PostgreSQL, you need to have:
>
>;cdr_pgsql.conf
>[global]
>hostname=databasehost
>port=5432
>dbname=asterisk
>password=password
>user=asterisk
>table=cdr
>
>	Likewise for MySQL. Alternately, you can use ODBC, look for
>cdr_odbc.conf.sample in /usr/src/asterisk/samples
>
>-Heison
>On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 10:47:15AM -0500, David Filion wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm trying to understand how Asterisk chooses the backend it's going to
>>use for storing CDRs.
>>For example, if PostgreSQL, MySQL, and FreeTDS are installed, how does
>>Asterisk know
>>which one to choose? Does it choose which ever one is configured are
>>forget about the rest
>>or will it send a CDR to each configured backend?
>>
>>The reason I'm asking is because I've been asked to put in logic that
>>will write CDRs to a local
>>file if the CDR engine cannot send the CDR to the DB being used.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>David Filion

Maybe I wasn't clear in my wording.  I know how to configure the
individual "engines". That's not what I'm interested in. What I am
curious about is how Asterisk, during it's start up/load, determines
which engine to use.  If I configure all of the CDR engines (FreeTDS,
SQLlite, Mysql, PostgreSQL, etc) will Asterisk send the CDR to each of
the engines resulting in a cdr in each or will Asterisk pick one of the
N possibilities and just go with that one?

ps.  I did ask on the users list but only received one answer that I was
unable to replicate.

David