[Asterisk-Dev] outbound RFC2833 broken - use inband instead?

Bryan Field-Elliot bryan at nextalarm.com
Thu Jun 23 10:13:03 MST 2005

After working diligently with techs from two separate ATA manufacturers,
we're pretty convinced that the process of sending RFC2833 DTMF digits
outbound, from Asterisk to an ATA, is broken.

Note that I'm not saying that the code in Asterisk -- ast_rtp_senddigit
() -- is necessarily broken. We have one vendor claiming it is, and
another saying that they don't handle inbound RFC2833 well in the first
place.

What I'd really like, is to apply a patch so that, instead of calling
ast_rtp_senddigit, we instead generate and send an inband DTMF tone (for
a duration of, say, 250ms).

Can anyone please advise a shortcut to do this? I don't mind getting my
hands dirty (dirtier) with the Asterisk code, I've gotten this far
hacking ast_rtp_senddigit to pieces and back, several times over.

Thank you,

Bryan