[Asterisk-Dev] IAX codec negociation (again...)

Goldenear goldenear at free.fr
Mon Jun 20 06:35:55 MST 2005

I'm not a programmer, but I begin to know pretty well asterisk
internals. Moreover, I didn't say it IS easy, I just said it COULD be ;)
When I see how codec négociation works with sip/ser, I just guess it
could be as easy with * :)

I'm wondering, couldn't * ask both sides of a call their codecs
capabilities before "bridging" them and so force them to use  the same
codec if there is a common one ?

Also, I've done some test using IAXcomm:

user A (alaw/ulaw/gsm - gsm as prefered codec)
user B (ulaw only)
user A (IAXcomm softphone) calls user B using its IP address (direct
connection by dialing 192.168.1.12/s, not using any * server)

In this way, it works :) A switch from gsm to ulaw during the call.
So, I wonder why having asterisk in the path would break codecs nogociation.