[Asterisk-Dev] High resolution timers using POSIX clocks instead of zaptel

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Tue Jun 7 10:00:53 MST 2005

Steven wrote:

>On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 12:16 -0400, Steve Kann wrote:
>

>>Gilad Ben-Yossef wrote:

>>>Fact of life - on a 2.4 Linux kernel for x86 or PPC the timer
>>>resolution is 10ms (look for the HZ macro in
>>>/usr/src/linux/include/asm/param.h) That's simply not enough.
>>>

>>Not enough for what?  What do you need to do that 10ms resultion isn't
>>enough?
>>

>I'm betting that since 10ms is equal to 80 samples, that you would see
>that it is too slow for the current needs. To slow down to a 10ms
>resolution would might require 2 sets of timer routines, one able to
>handle the zapata resolution and then the software timer one.

What current needs?  I mean, what are these hardware timers used for:

meetme:  The processing frequency here approximately equals the extra
delay introduced.  You can easily run meetme conferences 50 times per
second, instead of 1000 times per second.

iax trunking:  Since the trunk frames only go out every 20ms or whatever
you've set, clearly you don't need a 1ms timer driving them.

generators (for playing sounds, etc):  Since these things are being used
only when you're doing VoIP, you certainly don't need 1ms resolution for
them.

What am I missing?