[Asterisk-Dev] High resolution timers using POSIX clocks instead of zaptel

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Tue Jun 7 09:55:17 MST 2005

Tilghman Lesher wrote:

>On Tuesday 07 June 2005 11:16, Steve Kann wrote:
>

>>Gilad Ben-Yossef wrote:

>>>Fact of life - on a 2.4 Linux kernel for x86 or PPC the timer
>>>resolution is 10ms (look for the HZ macro in
>>>/usr/src/linux/include/asm/param.h) That's simply not enough.
>>>

>>Not enough for what?  What do you need to do that 10ms resultion
>>isn't enough?
>>

>1ms interrupts.

Umm..  I have no idea what that was supposed to mean..    A hardware
device can generate interrupts whenever it wants.

The question was, why do you need software timers that have more than
10ms resolution?  For a conference, is it really necessary to mix 8
samples at a time?  -- It really doesn't help, especially when calls are
VoIP, and are coming in at least 20-30ms frames..