[Asterisk-Dev] [Announce] Asterisk::LDAP initial release

Ben Klang ben at alkaloid.net
Sun Jun 5 18:18:25 MST 2005

Fellow developers,

My organization uses LDAP extensively to manage our customer information
and we were looking for a way to store phone system information with the
rest of our data.  Unfortunately the solutions we found were not
adequate for our needs.  To fill that void, I humbly submit
Asterisk::LDAP.

Asterisk::LDAP is a Perl module I have written and released under the
terms of the GPL which is capable of generating Asterisk version 1.0
compatible configuration files from an LDAP data source.  Currently it
supports generation of extensions.conf, voicemail.conf and
musiconhold.conf.  Future plans include sip.conf, iax.conf and
meetme.conf.  As this is the first release it is sure to include lots
bugs so I disclaim any kind of responsiblity for anything including
remembering why I wrote any particular piece of code any particular way.
That being said it has been tested in my environment and I think it
works well.  Example scripts are in the tarball, including one which can
be dropped in voicemail.conf's 'externpass' argument to update a user's
voice mailbox PIN when changed via the telephone interface.

There is much work left to do, not the least of which is documentation.
I have made an attempt to document the methods via perldoc ('perldoc
Asterisk::LDAP' after installation) and through the example code.  I
welcome any suggestions or contributions.

I also want to say that I KNOW this is a big ugly hack.  The Right Way
to do it will be Real Time Asterisk.  Unfortunately I needed a solution
yesterday and this fit the bill.

If you think you'd like to take a look for yourself, hop on over to
http://projects.alkaloid.net.

Enjoy!  Comments and criticisms to ben at alkaloid.net.  Complaints
to /dev/null.

Thanks,