[Asterisk-Dev] Bounty query: TCP for SIP?

Mikael Magnusson mikaelmagnusson at glocalnet.net
Fri Jun 3 01:47:03 MST 2005

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 03:13:09PM +1000, Adam Hart wrote:
> Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> >On Thursday 02 June 2005 19:33, John Todd wrote:
> >
> >>Before I post a new bounty, I'd like to make sure nobody has
> >>already posted one that I just can't find.
> >>(http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+bounty   doesn't show it,
> >>but I'm not sure how complete that is these days...)
> >>
> >>Does anyone know of a development bounty for implementation of TCP
> >>for SIP?
> >>
> >>The lack of TCP in chan_sip seems to be holding up some fairly
> >>important work, notably encryption of SIP messages via any
> >>reasonable method.
> >

> >Since when was TCP required for encryption?  Methinks you need to look
> >into some other projects, like openvpn.
> >

> For TLS, the standard way of encryption for SIP

I looks like the next version of OpenSSL will support Datagram Transport Layer
Security[1] (DTLS). A OpenSSL 0.9.8 beta version is out, which supports
it. And at least one SIP stack supports DTLS already, namely reSIProcate.

/Mikael Magnusson

[1]http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rescorla-dtls-04.txt
[2]http://www.educatedguesswork.org/movabletype/archives/2005/05/first_release_o.html