[Asterisk-Dev] spike / asterisk hang? <- On a 360MHz CPU - no, 440 :)

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Mon Jul 18 05:50:10 MST 2005

On Saturday 16 July 2005 01:14, James Sharp wrote:
> I don't have a sun4u available to test on it, but I wonder if the
> compiler is even emitting semi-optimized instructions for sparc.  If you
> twiddle the makefiles right and run a decent enough version of GCC, it
> should spit out VIS-based instructions (MMX-style SIMD instructions in
> sparc64)

The devil's in the details, as always.  :-)

I would imagine that the SIMD instructions on most processors "like" the
algorithms to be implemented the same way (i.e. working on larger datasets at
once) so I imagine that if the original poster did a little research and
testing he could squeeze a few more calls out of those boxes.  :-)

-A.