[Asterisk-Dev] code theft again?

Steven critch at basesys.com
Wed Jul 13 11:46:24 MST 2005

> Bruce Ferrell wrote:
> > Well, maybe all that can/should be done is to report the suspected
> > unauthorized use to Digium and let it go at that.  Unsatisfying to be
> > sure but given that Mark and Digium seems to be the final arbitors of
> > this, I'm not sure what else there is to do.

Digium isn't the final arbiters. Digium is just the preferred arbiter.
Digium has the option to make money out of the problem where as the rest
of us couldn't do more than bring them to compliance with the GPL.

On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 18:32 +0100, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> Maybe there needs to be a separate CVS repository for pure GPL code.
> People who want their code (and any derivitive works) to stay in the
> public domain and avoid all this confusion and commercial secrecy could
> put their code there.  I imagine distributions like Debian would simply
> ship Asterisk as two packages - `asterisk-core.deb' and
> `asterisk-modules-pure-gpl.deb' perhaps.

Maybe you should rethink how that is worded. When you download asterisk
from Digium, you are getting the pure GPL code. As is regularly pointed
out, it is the same code even when you get the alternate non-GPL
license. The only difference is we know when we get the code from Digium
we have an option of getting a non-GPL license. Where as any other
repository can not offer anything but GPL code.
--
Steven Critchfield
critch at basesys.com
KI4KTY