[Asterisk-Dev] code theft again?

Bruce Ferrell bferrell at baywinds.org
Wed Jul 13 09:31:50 MST 2005

Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 July 2005 01:20, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
>
>>On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 12:12:19AM -0500, Steven wrote:
>>
>>>It would be
>>>very easy for a large number of us to file suit in our jurisdiction
>>>simultaneously. Even if we didn't prosecute hard, the cost of
>>>defending a 30-50 lawsuits in 20 or more jurisdictions would
>>>bankrupt a smallish business, or at least force them to come clean
>>>quickly.
>>
>>Call me naive, but I'd mainly like to see companies copmplying with
>>the license (and contributing their changes back to the community).
>>Law suits are just one way of forcing them to do so. They should be
>>used as a last resort *after* the company has been contacted and has
>>been made aware of the fact that complying with the license isn't
>>normaly that difficult.
>

> How, pray tell, are we going to know when to do that if Digium is not
> keeping us in the loop with respect to individual company negotiations?

Well, maybe all that can/should be done is to report the suspected
unauthorized use to Digium and let it go at that.  Unsatisfying to be
sure but given that Mark and Digium seems to be the final arbitors of
this, I'm not sure what else there is to do.

I know I'm working with a system for a client that I have questions
about, but I'm not about to jepordize my client on something I don't
know about for certain.  And Digium certainly doesn't (or can't by
contractual agreement) publicize what companies have commercially
licensed Asterisk.