[Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk failure

Matthew Butt mjb at tricycleinc.com
Thu Jul 7 07:43:42 MST 2005

Hi all,

I'm having an occasional problem with Asterisk that I'm having problems
tracking down and I hope someone can give me some guidance.

After Asterisk has been running for some time (several days), our phones
will suddenly cease to be able to contact Asterisk.  If I dial a number,
the call is never placed.  Asterisk doesn't show any communication
(checked with sip debug) with the phone.  Shortly afterwards, the CLI
will no longer return any information - I can type stuff into it but
after pressing enter I'll get nothing back.  Any new calls coming in
from our ZAP lines appear to run through the dialplan but none of our
phones ever ring (it goes direct to office voicemail).  What's strange
is that already connected calls are still alive.

The only way of fixing this is to forcefully kill the asterisk process
(kill -KILL) as the CLI is unresponsive to a "stop now" command.
Restarting the phones make no difference (they are never able to
re-register)

Asterisk is running on FC3 on a PIII-500, 256MB RAM.  We have 16
extensions in a mixture of Grandstream BT101s and GXP2000s, 3 analog
lines into X100P clones.  I'm using CVS head as of a few weeks back.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Matt