[Asterisk-Dev] gnu-tls

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Thu Jul 7 00:14:19 MST 2005

Hi

BTW: the quoting in your post is was not clear enough.

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 12:14:58PM +1200, Derek Smithies wrote:

> Even assuming the license of the parts of gnu-tls that we want are LGPL,
> there are 2 issues I would mention.
>
>    The wording of the LGPL has been described as "Tricky" and the meaning
>    is definately up for debate. If us computer experts argue the
>    meaning, what will a court decide ?

Huh? What problems? Any reason why companies like Sun chose to use GTK
as the binding for their GUI a couple of years ago if the license was so
questionable? Please quote a decent source. The license of OpenSSL
is certainly problematic.

Is there any problem with the gtkgui?

>   What will asterisk gain by switching to gnu-tls ? Are there verifiable
>   flaws in the current openssl codebase ? If there are no verifiable
>   flaws, we would swap one working system for another working system. With
>   no gain in overall performance. A waste of effort in my view.

Not switching. Allow linking with it as well. Just as I don't suggest
that we switch to FreeBSD, Solaris or OSX's libc.

(And this was a preliminary check)

Regards,

--
Tzafrir Cohen     icq#16849755  +972-50-7952406
tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com  http://www.xorcom.com