[Asterisk-Dev] Plan 9 implementation

Martin Harriss martin at Princeton.EDU
Wed Jul 6 06:03:07 MST 2005

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Victor Rini wrote:
>
>> Has any ever looked at doing a port of zaptel and asterisk for plan 9
>> os? I look a glance at it and I sure like the design - a better unix
>> than unix although the "everything is a file" feature and the
>> per-process namespaces may translate into compromised performance for
>> something like zaptel.
>

> If the Plan 9 userspace is POSIX compliant, then porting Asterisk should
> be relatively easy. Zaptel is another matter though, hardware drivers
> are never easy to move between operating systems.

Plan 9 does have a POSIX environment, but it is probably incomplete,
possibly buggy, and considered by Plan 9 developers to be a method of
last resort.

For an application as complex as Asterisk, the only way to get it to run
with sufficient reliability and performance would be to use the native
Plan 9 environment.  Be warned,hwever, that anyone wanting to do this
should dig in and be prepared for a long fight.  And that doesn't even
count the drivers.

That said, I've often thought that Plan 9 would be a very interesting
place to run Asterisk.

Plan 9 on the web: http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9

Martin
(Plan 9 fan for >10 years)