[Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk and IPv6

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Fri Jul 1 22:20:38 MST 2005

Brian Capouch wrote:

> Steve Underwood wrote:
>

>> Crypto is of far more interest to people than IPV6 right now, but
>> even crypto hasn't managed to get any traction with developers. What
>> chance does IPV6 have? Crypto is rather more difficult, but its sad
>> that with its high level of importance to anyone who has really
>> started to think about VoIP deployment (see this week's list
>> discussion about DTMF over IP for banking) crypto isn't getting
>> anywhere.
>>

> The topic has come up at a number of weekly developers' conference calls.

Oh, yes. There has been lots of talk on the subject, because people
realise its importance. Action is another matter. :-)

> The code for IAX encryption is in the codebase, but has bugs that
> cause a variety of untowards things to happen.  Bug #4500 has been
> opened, but hasn't seen much activity.

What I have seen in the codebase is just a sketchy outline. It was
actually stated as being such at the time it was added - a stimulus to
get things going, rather than a solution. I think that since it doesn't
copy the well reviewed methods in SRTP, the scheme would need reviewing
by some seasoned encryption people before being commited as a solution.

Regards,
Steve