[Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk and IPv6

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Fri Jul 1 22:04:09 MST 2005

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> Mike Taht wrote:
>
>> I gave up about a thousand lines into it. I would like it if enough
>> people could gather around the networking stacks and clean them up
>> some, declare some coding standards, etc, enough to make ipv6 and
>> crypto work...
>

> There is a great deal of work required to get Asterisk to support
> IPV6, much more so than just the socket layer (which is being worked
> on, slowly <G>). Just off the top my head:
>
> - binding logic
> - configuration file parsing
> - astdb/Realtime database storage of peer addresses
> - IP-based access control

Crypto is of far more interest to people than IPV6 right now, but even
crypto hasn't managed to get any traction with developers. What chance
does IPV6 have? Crypto is rather more difficult, but its sad that with
its high level of importance to anyone who has really started to think
about VoIP deployment (see this week's list discussion about DTMF over
IP for banking) crypto isn't getting anywhere.

Regards,
Steve