[Asterisk-Dev] three new bounties

Jon Gabrielson jon at directfreight.com
Mon Jan 31 20:08:58 MST 2005

My problem is twofold, which I don't think alternate routing
addresses (correct me if I'm wrong)

The first problem is that I am currently using which line a
call comes in on to determine how I should answer the phone.
i.e.  line 1 and 2 are doing business under one name and
 lines 3 and 4 are doing business under a different name.
I could probably modify callerid to display this info, but this
would still limit me to a single call on hold.

The second problem is that on a single line phone I have
no idea how many lines are currently waiting to be answered.
With our current phone system (an ancient merlin system),
I can easily see at a glance how many people are on hold,
how many lines are ringing, how many lines are being used
by someone else, etc...  This allows me to quickly end less
important calls (like talking to a coworker) in order to quickly
answer the more important calls.

I have been trying to work through how to handle these
two problems efficiently with asterisk, but have yet to come
up with a satisfactory solution.  The best solution I've thought
of so far is to use all 4 line analog phones, which would
require running all new phone lines for the extra pairs.
The other solution would be to get all IP phones which would
probably be at least as expensive as running new lines.

Jon.