[Asterisk-Dev] Debugging: selectable feature?

Michael Giagnocavo mgg-digium at atrevido.net
Thu Jan 27 21:00:46 MST 2005

>> >Log levels, like verbose levels, are currently enabled globally.
>> > There is no facility currently to enable certain modules to log
>> > more or be more verbose than others.  It's all or nothing.
>>
>> That's too bad.  My experiences with debugging individual calls
>> which create error conditions (crashes, PRI problems, SIP problems,
>> whatever) have been difficult, to say the least.  The lack of
>> timestamps or channel indications on the output is discouraging in
>> high-churn call environments.   I can't even "grep" through a
>> logfile of applications that were launched, based on what channel
>> ID called them.  Oh well.
>
>You're not alone when you see this as a problem.  I'd also like to
>selectively enable debugging for small bits of code.  The problem is
>the changes are going to be extremely involved and will generate a
>very large patch, when you consider every module.  The other question
>to be answered is how granular we want this:  for example, should the
>log level be determined only by module or should there be multiple
>granularities within a module (i.e. debugging PRI channels without
>debugging FXS channels)?  And furthermore, should it be determined
>not only by module or resource, but also by individual channel?  Each
>of these options is going to incur an extra amount of work, though it
>makes the ability to control logging much nicer (more specific).

I was thinking about changing the logging functions to filter on a specific
string. Something like debugInclude="pbx|sip"? Or exclude, or both?

I really felt it when I debugged my first app. I turned on debugging, since
I wanted to see all my app's stuff. But then I'm flooded with messages from
IAX, ZAP, PBX, etc.

-Michael