[Asterisk-Dev] Re: is this a bug?

Matt Riddell matt.riddell at sineapps.com
Wed Jan 26 17:51:42 MST 2005

Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
> On January 26, 2005 06:26 pm, Matt Riddell wrote:
>
>>I get the feeling that maybe it would be easier for you if it popped up
>>a nice ncurses window saying "You've said you want to quit.  I think I
>>know better than you and surely you didn't really mean to quit.  How
>>about we go back to the console.  If you really did want to quit you
>>should really type STOP GRACEFULLY".
>
> Don't be silly.  Ncurses is overkill.

:)  Good, at least there's a limit then!

> Are you seeing my point yet, or would you like to continue being the smartass?

Why can I not have both...I see your point and raise you 1.

> This has nothing to do with clickthrough licensing nor nanny-fying Asterisk.
> ^C is a really shitty way to stop a "daemon with a command line interface" as
> Tlighman put it.

If you were running those as a daemon *and* a command line interface,
you wouldn't have the problem.

> That's you.  I've never in my life used safe_asteirsk, and that's me.  And I

So what happens if Asterisk crashes while you're away/asleep/on holiday?
  Do you expect your users to have no phone until you track down the
problem?  (I can kinda see this one coming - you a] have your own
restart script b] have tested every possibility and know Asterisk will
not ever crash c] your Server rings an alarm bell next to your bed and
flashes all the house lights if it goes down or d] don't sleep/go on
holiday)

:)

> again defy you to find a unix application with an interactive shell that
> quits with ^C, more and less being excepted since they are not what I'd
> consider interactive shells.

And this is worth my time how exactly?

>>While I'm running it in foreground mode, I want to be able to drop out
>>quickly.  STOP NOW is 9 characters (including enter).  ^C is two.
>
> Point taken, although like I said I think yours is a very fringe case, what
> with up-arrow pulling up the last command and all.  :-)

Hmmm, yeah as long as the only command you ever type is STOP NOW,
otherwise it's still more keystrokes...

Maybe the solution is to have it as a configuration variable in
features.conf:

quit_when_i_tell_you=yes/no

:)

Ok, I think I've finished being a smart arse and wasting the -dev
bandwidth for the day.

--
Cheers,

Matt Riddell