[Asterisk-Dev] Distributed Voice Mail

Jim Van Meggelen jim at vanmeggelen.ca
Wed Jan 26 03:22:57 MST 2005

Alexander Lopez wrote:
> has anyone looked at Audio Messaging Interchange Specifications
> (AMIS) pr RFC3773 for vm on multiple machines???

I would think that you could get VPIM/IVM working without any new
software. I did some work with sendmail and VPIM a few years ago, and it
was no more difficult that anything else is with sendmail.

VPIM/IVM is essentially a set of constraints placed on SMTP, so the real
trick is tuning the system to ensure it doesn't send unsupported SMTP
messages and attachments to the far end systems (you'd generally need to
convert audio to ADPCM-32 for compatibility). VPIM never really made it
to a standard, so there is some discrepancy among the vendors as to how
much is supported. http://www.opengroup.org/messaging/vpim/ has some old
information, including interoperability declarations from the various
vendors.

Best bet might be to check out VPIMv2 (RFC 3801, 3802, 3803, 3804), and
configure your sendmail to operate within those constraints. Most of the
vendors support VPIMv2 (if they support VPIM at all).

AMIS might be possible with just the dialplan, as it uses DTMF for
signalling and transmits the audio in-band. The trick is finding a
published spec for it. Regardless, I wouldn't recommend AMIS unless you
have no choice.

Cheers,

Jim.

--