[Asterisk-Dev] Re: is this a bug?

Eric Wieling eric at fnords.org
Tue Jan 25 13:10:28 MST 2005

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo wrote:

> I beg to differ.  An interactive system like this, with a command
> line, and command line editing using control characters, should NEVER
> crash on a ^C.  It would be polite for it to respond to ^C with a
> message telling the user to "stop now" to exit the program.  Oh, and
> even if you insist that it must be ^C killable, it shouldn't be doing
> what it does anyway: it's obviously trying to handle the interrupt,
> and failing at it, and dying with an ill mem ref.  If that's not a
> bug, I don't know what is.  :-)

The correct way to start Asterisk so it does not exit is "asterisk".
that will run it in the background.  You can then use "asterisk -r" to
connect to the currently running Asterisk process.  If you start
Asterisk as "asterisk -c" then you are telling Asterisk to stay in the
foreground and exit when you close the terminal window or press
Ctrl-C.  Just like every other app on the planet.