[Asterisk-Dev] IAX2 trunk really should send timestamps as part of iax2_meta_trunk_entry..

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Thu Jan 20 16:59:29 MST 2005

On January 20, 2005 05:56 pm, Steve Kann wrote:
>    b2) what happens if we _add_ a meta_trunk_entry, with callno == 0?
>           I haven't tried this yet, but it seems if we put in a
> meta_trunk_entry with callno == 0, we can use that as a way to add
> additional information to a trunk frame.    Then we can define something
> like this:

... details snipped...

I'm a VERY big fan of this resolution method -- it is extensible, compatible
with the old format and adds length to the trunk frames in a
preamble+num_channels*channel_data fashion.

> This method also allows us to extend this if we want/need to in the
> future..

That's the single biggest reason why I prefer this method over all others.

I'm not an IAX2 or trunking guru by any stretch of the imagination but I had
always wondered why asterisk would try and munge every call's timestamps into
one trunk frame (or rather, eliminate them altogether in lieu of the trunk's
timestamp) -- My typical asterisk deployments are exactly as you'd
described... many phones all dumped into a common trunk to somewhere else.

-A.