[Asterisk-Dev] Zaptel channel architecture

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Jan 20 14:31:17 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 15:33 -0600, creslin at digium.com wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 05:46:31PM +0100, Frederic Paolucci wrote:
> > I would like to add video support to meetme for a e-learning project. What I
> > want to do is quite "simple" : the video streaming from one attendee (the
> > teacher) is sent to all other attendees (students) ; there's no other video
> > stream.
> >
> > Tell me if I'm wrong, but my idea would be to modify zaptel channel
> > (chan_zap.c and ztdummy.c) in order to add video support to that channel (ie
> > make it support AST_FORMAT_H263).
>
> I could be totally misunderstanding what you're asking here, but I would think
> that if you're doing video conferencing and talking about using H.263 most of
> what you'll be dealing with would not be in chan_zap.c, but you might be looking
> more at app_meetme.c, chan_sip.c, and the H.323 channel driver.

Aha, now I get a clue why the original person asked about zap.
app_meetme requires zap to mix channels regardless of the original
channel.

In that case, app_meetme probably won't handle what the original person
wanted without some real nasty hacking.

To add to that, I don't see where a PBX would be helpful in an
e-learning situation where there are many other tools for broadcasting a
video out to many users.