[Asterisk-Dev] FW: asterisk/doc CODING-GUIDELINES,1.4,1.5

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at starnetworks.us
Wed Jan 19 07:32:06 MST 2005

Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:

> Personally I feel this whole ast_strlen_zero macro (it better be a macro or at
> least inline function!) is poor optimization -- does Asterisk really spend so
> much time in strlen() that it was necessary?

It is a static inline function, essentially the same as a macro. Do a
grep over the sources to see how often it is called... there are many,
many calls.

I have some new stuff coming in a few weeks that will drastically reduce
all this length-checking and string-copying (along with massive memory
usage decrease)... stay tuned, and be ready to provide testing boxes
when the patch is available in Mantis :-)