[Asterisk-Dev] FW: asterisk/doc CODING-GUIDELINES,1.4,1.5

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Wed Jan 19 05:34:46 MST 2005

On January 19, 2005 12:00 am, Edwin Groothuis wrote:
> Any C programmer who checks with strlen() if the length of a string
> is greater than zero should be forced to read the K&R book again
> to understand how the C programming language actually works.

Save me a trip to the library and tell me when strlen() would not return the
length of a string?

I've been a C programmer for over a decade now and can't think of a reason why
this would be considered a bad thing.  At the very heart of strlen would be a
loop something along the line of

int count = 0;
while (*(string++))
        count++;

Yes my C's getting rusty but can you think of a better/faster way to count the
characters in a zero-terminated string?

-A.