[Asterisk-Dev] chan_sip cvs-stable post 1/1/2005 polycom bug

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Fri Jan 14 23:56:33 MST 2005

Hello,
	I've opened a bug that is affecting Polycom phones. As far as I
can tell, the problem was introduced in chan_sip between 1/1/2005 and
1/2/2005, and appears in subsequent versions.

http://bugs.digium.com/bug_view_page.php?bug_id=0003348

Polycom Soundpoint IP 300 and 500 phones running both the 1.3.1 and 1.3.4
SIP firmware are unable to complete calls with any cvs-stable chan_sip
after 1/1/2005. Calls appear to complete, and the first frame of the audio
is heard, but the Polycom then gives a fasy busy.

I have spent most of this evening tracking this down. I first noticed the
problem with an update to a client's server on 1/8/2005. All their Polycom
phones exhibited the same behaviour and were unable to make any outbound
calls. I then rolled chan_sip back to the 12/26/2004 version and it worked
fine.

I called Digium and spoke with Matt and asked him if he had any reports of
this, and he said no. I promised that I would try to track it down, update
my firmware, check all configuration settings and open a bug report if
neccessary.

Tonight, I spent a good portion of time actually testing various chan_sip
code and found that the problems are not present in the chan_sip code
before 1/2/2005. I am able to reproduce this faithfully, and have
attempted to discuss this on #asterisk, but have not been able to catch
Russell or Mark.

I have attached a diff of the changes between 1/1/2005 and 1/2/2005, and
the changes are minor, mostly related to mailbox checks. I haven't dug
into the code to find more detailed information, but I will attach
tcpdumps from both a successful 1/1/2005 call and an unsuccessful 1/2/2005
call. Hopefully, we can figure out where this issue is before 1.0.4 is
dropped with this problem, and avoid a lot of complaints on the list about
Polycom phones not working with it.

                             KP-216-121-ST