[Asterisk-Dev] Per-call codec preference

Paul digium-list at 9ux.com
Wed Jan 12 18:20:23 MST 2005

Michael,

I have only been running * for 10 days now so please excuse any
ignorance or stupidity in my comments.

1) It would definitely be very helpful for testing because I currently
create extensions for testing providers. A typical test of outbound
providers is that I use kphone dial 9d0p where d is the destination and
p is the provider. I dial 9203 to call my office pots line using
voicepulse. I usually put the line on hold to play some Hendrix or
Joplin and then transfer it to the echo test. If you add this patch, I
could change that to 9dcp where c is the codec to use. I have all these
test extensions in an include file. Next thing I should do is write a
macro to generate them.

2) I suppose it could also be used to implement a mechanism for
dynamically adjusting to call volumes. I can easily move my * test setup
between cable modem, adsl, sdsl and T-1 lines that I have control over.
The average soho user does not have that option. I have already seen
that many of those soho setups might want to change codecs as soon as
they open a second pipe. My experiments with a callback system(so I can
get unlimited calling from my home in the backwoods or from my cell
phone with free incoming) indicate that 2 ulaw channels only work well
on the T-1's from backbone providers. My normal usage when at the office
is one call at a time to a softphone. That works fine even while
downloading tarballs and using rsync to update mirrors. When I use the
second channel the loss in quality is obvious. So I definitely would
want to try changing codecs when doing the callback and also for any
calls I place during the callback session.

3) Allowing users to dial *xx for per-call codec changes would be a nice
feature.

4) Some of my tests so far indicate that using a high-quality codec to
call my cell number is a waste of bandwidth. I have set it up as an
extension and use a voip provider to call it. I use the same account for
most of my outgoing calls so per-call codec negotiation would be nice here.

- Paul