[Asterisk-Dev] Increasing reliability on lossy connections

Jared Smith jaredsmith at jaredsmith.net
Wed Jan 12 13:20:58 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 14:07 -0500, John Todd wrote:
> The better solution would be to implement iLBC's packet concealment
> methods, and then use that codec for your IAX2 trunking.  I am
> currently under the impression (someone correct me if I'm wrong!
> It's been a while since this was discussed...) that the iLBC code in
> * is not completely implemented due to timing issues, so that iLBC's
> great packet concealment methods are unused.

Just remember that if you're using iLBC with IAX2 trunking, that you'll
want to set the trunkfreq to 30ms instead of 20ms.  Otherwise, you'll
have iLBC packets jumping in and out of your trunk, and you'll wonder
why the bandwidth is higher than it should be.

(Wasn't it you John that first figured that out?)

> Sending packets twice is... a frightening hack.

Yes, it certainly is.

-Jared Smith