[Asterisk-Dev] No ringback tone using IAX on stable 1.0.2

Eric Wieling eric at fnords.org
Mon Jan 10 07:51:54 MST 2005

Chad Brown wrote:

> Guys, I posted the following question on the users group with no
> response. Does anyone on this list have any ideas?

> I am noticing that calls that come from our IAX pstn gateway provider
> and terminate to our Asterisk IVR do not receive ringing when an
> extension is dialed. For example:
>
>    1. An inbound PSTN caller calls our number
>    2. Asterisk answers and provides greeting
>    3. PSTN user routed through our IAX pstn provider dials extension of
>       an internal SIP phone
>    4. No ringback is heard from PSTN callers perspective
>    5. PSTN caller gets frustrated and hang up due to silence if SIP user
>       does not pick up right away
>
> On the other hand…If I call [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> <mailto:%5bEMAIL%20PROTECTED%5d> from an external sip phone all is well
> as far as ringing goes.
>
> I added an “r” to the dial command to try to force the issue with no
> success.
>
> This is what asterisk says:
>
> == CDR updated on IAX2/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/2
>
>     -- Executing Dial("IAX2/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/2", "SIP/101|20|r") in new
> stack
>
>     -- Called 101
>
>     -- SIP/101-178a is ringing
>
> However, I’m still not getting any tone. If you have any other ideas let
> me know. (I believe the “r” suggests that it should be sending back tone
> but my caller is not getting any) BTW I’m using the latest stable build
> 1.0.2 of Asterisk.

"r" sends a FAKE ringback to the caller.  It's almost never needed.
Asterisk will provide ringback tone to the caller if Asterisk thinks
it should.  What SIP device are you using?  You'll need to do a SIP
debug and figure out what it means to see why the phone is not
providing Asterisk the information required to generate a ring.