[Asterisk-Dev] VoIP Call Sniffer

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sat Jan 8 13:19:40 MST 2005

Yes, some. Switches forward packets at layer two (mac address), and learn
the location of each mac address by listening to packets. Once it has
learned the switch ports associated with the mac address, the switch will
_not_ forward sip or rtp traffic to other ports not associated with the
sip/rtp session.

Example: one * with 100 sip phones on a corporate net with canreinvite=yes.
All established phone-to-phone rtp conversations happen directly between
the two sip phones. If this corporate net uses switches, you could not
monitor the rtp traffic unless you had access to one of the switches in
the rtp path, and set up a port mirror to watch it.

Good security relies on multiple layers; the use of switches qualifies
as a very simple example of one layer. UserID & passwords are another
layer, while encryption is yet another, etc, etc.