[Asterisk-Dev] RFC: Moderating the Asterisk Mailing Lists

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Fri Jan 7 13:47:26 MST 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 15:27 -0500, Steve Clark wrote:
> Steven Critchfield wrote:

> >>Greg
> >>
> >>as an asterisk newbie, I'd like to support your view, especially your
> >>remark about either answering politely or not at all. Nobody is
> >>required to answer 'noise' mails if he/she doesn't like to. Actually,
> >>if nobody does I'm pretty sure the noise level will eventually drop.
> >

> > Incorrect, non responses breed more noise as too many newbies turn right
> > around and repost due to a perceived failure. Plus you haven't laid down
> > any acceptable ground rules as to what is tolerated. So you slide down
> > the slope into ever increasing noise.
> >

> And you know this how?

We see regularly impatient people who say "I sent this $x $increments
ago and didn't get a response, here it is again". And it sometimes is a
quoted from where the responded to their own message. Or it is attached
as a forward.

Of course then there are the ones who lose their own copy of the message
and claim they didn't see it go through.