[Asterisk-Dev] RFC: Moderating the Asterisk Mailing Lists

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Fri Jan 7 13:31:09 MST 2005

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, Brian Wilkins wrote:

> Identifying the problem, is not being part of the problem. It's part of
> the solution IMHO. I have attempted to update the wiki as best I can.
> But I'm not an Army. You make an update, you update the wiki. You write
> a new feature, update the wiki. Simple? It doesn't happen,
> unfortunately.
How about...No? You aren't paying me, you have absolutely no right to
demand anything at all. I don't write code for you.  I write code for
myself and other developers. Yes, it would be *nice* if every developer
updated documentation after updating code (in fact, you should demand that
from a developer if you are requesting a feature!), but thing is,
sometimes, we are too busy writing code and dealing with our [paying]
clients to bother writing documentation.

That's unfortunate, but it is a fact of life - most of my clients can't
care less whether a feature that I've implemented for them is documented
or not. In fact, they couldn't care less about Asterisk at all, as long as
their blinkenlighten ist werken and calls are going through. My goal is to
keep my clients happy. Your happiness does not enter into the picture.

If you are purchasing an Asterisk-based solution, by all means, demand
that all features are documented. Hopefully, your vendor will put their
documentation into a wiki or into some other open storage and we all will
benefit from it.

-alex