[Asterisk-Dev] RFC: Moderating the Asterisk Mailing Lists

Gregory Junker gregory.junker at dayark.com
Fri Jan 7 11:11:59 MST 2005

> Precisely. I'm very very very much nicer to people who pay me money. That
> is, consulting clients or hosting customers. If you want free advice, you
> might get it, just don't expect me to be nice. :)

Then expect to lose a potential client due to inadequate people skills.
You never know who is on the other side of that keyboard, nor who they
may or may not talk to.

> I think that's true of a lot of Asterisk developer/volunteers.

Actually, the "main" Asterisk developer I have found to follow what his
Mom told him growing up. I do not recall Mark Spencer ever laying into a
newcomer to Asterisk for asking a basic question. Might have something
to do with Mark understanding that "the mic is always on", know what I mean?

I guess my point is that a lot of you need to get over yourselves.
Follow Mark's model: if you are not interested in answering someone's
question in a courteous manner, then simply don't. "DTFG" and "RTFM" and
non-directed pointers to arbitrary Wiki pages (or even worse, to the
Wiki home page), and especially, "read the f***ing source code", do not
fall under "courteous reply".

Of course, to the rest of the world, this is just common sense.

Greg