[Asterisk-Dev] RFC: Moderating the Asterisk Mailing Lists

Gregory Junker gregory.junker at dayark.com
Fri Jan 7 10:22:34 MST 2005

> There are plenty of people here who possess tact and diplomacy.  You seem to
> expect those qualities to be a requirement; they're not.

They are a requirement for any open-source project to reach its full
potential. Nothing turns off a newbie to a project faster than a
smartass or hostile response to what they believe is a valid question.

Should those questions be in the -dev list? No, but the response tone I
am talking about occurs mostly in the -users list, and the perpetrators
know who they are.

That said, if the doc project is more useful than the Wiki, then perhaps
the Wiki should be phased out as the doc project matures, and the
standard reply point the user to a more useful source of information.

It all comes down to one simple fact: open-source projects far and away
are started and "managed" by engineers, who have demonstrated time and
again throughout history, and continue to do so today, why they are not
allowed to interact with the user community. Engineers don't like users,
they really don't. Engineers believe that users just get in the way.

I can say this because I am an engineer, an electrical and software
engineer, but I have the unique ability among my kind to see the
software system from a usability viewpoint, which many engineers simply
do not realize exists. Asterisk is a HORRIBLY designed project from a
usability standpoint. Asterisk is an FANTASTICALLY designed project from
a technical standpoint.

Remember, Windows is not as dominant as it is because it's technically
superior (it is and it isn't). It's dominant because it is EASY TO USE.

So if you want the project to remain within the community of technical
users only, by all means continue to berate the new users for asking
basic questions.

Greg