[Asterisk-Dev] RFC: Moderating the Asterisk Mailing Lists

Leif Madsen leif.madsen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 10:01:58 MST 2005

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 10:42:03 +0000, Brian Wilkins <brian at hcc.net> wrote:
> If the project is ongoing, why are the docs on the www.asterisk.org website
> outdated? The Asterisk Handbook: Second Draft was last published in March,
> 2003!

Unfortunately, the guys at Digium are busy working on other things -
like coding Asterisk.  I can understand their dilemma in not being
able to contribute more to the documentation effort.  However, there
is documentation which is updated fairly regularily in the source
code.  And of course, there is always the source itself (which I admit
to not really knowing all that well - but that will soon change as I
become more involved with the newly forming development group).

> I don't think the list is the problem, it's simple lack of good, solid
> documentation. Newbies will always have questions, but we can't blame them
> for asking when a lot of the information on the wiki is outdated, plus we
> don't even have a recent handbook published. Look at the mysql website
> (another open source project), they have loads of documentation and it is
> easily searchable.

Well, the MySQL project has been around a lot longer than the Asterisk
project.  Plus, I'm pretty sure they have a lot more funding.  More
$$$ means more docs and code.

The wiki is a damn good resource, and I'd like to think the Docs
project is a decent resource as an introduction as well (although I do
agree that its a bit sparse, but we are working on that).

The documentation that exists now is also easily searchable.  Just
type site:voip-info.org into Google before your search phrase.  Works
fantastic.

BTW:  Have you submitted documentation to the Wiki or Docs project lately? :)

Thanks,
Leif Madsen.
http://www.leifmadsen.com