[Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk Source Code Intensive - Proposal for Astricon

Leif Madsen leif.madsen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 23:44:44 MST 2005

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 01:25:43 -0500, Jim Van Meggelen <jim at vanmeggelen.ca> wrote:
> For everyone who was ignoring the pimpking thread, it has matured rather
> tamely into something more constructive. Therefore, it made sense to me
> to start a new, relevant thread.
>
> The idea was suggested that a one day seminar on the source code be
> presented at Astricon. Sort of an extremely condensed tour of the
> source, lovingly delivered by someone sufficiently sadistic to enjoy
> such an activity. Kinda like a poetry reading.

I still believe this to be a very good thing(tm) for Astricon.
Someone also suggested a monthly or quarterly voice conference.  While
that may be a bit ambitious for something that hasn't happened yet,
someone doing a presentation at Astricon would set a good base on
which to base new quarterly meetings off of.  This would provide the
initial momentum and make sure someone creates a good base of
knowledge in docs and slides (since they'd be doing it for a
presentation... which I know makes me work a bit harder and take it
more seriously :))

My one suggestion would that it NOT include any questions DURING the
presentation, but only at the end.  If people have questions or
comments, they should write them down or remember them for the end so
that the presentation is guarenteed to be completed and not taken off
course.  I can very well see it becoming a disaster if that were to
happen.

> BKW, naturally, pretty much volunteered.

Of course he did :)  My feeling is that because he started right at
the beginning without knowing code, he'd probably be able to remember
some of the first issues he had to figure out, plus he's an
entertaining presenter :)

> Anyone else feel like they want to contribute to the code, but feel
> overwhelemed about were to begin?
>
> Perhaps the lack of contributors is due to the fact that many feel
> unqualified to help, even though willing (I'd count myself in that
> category). It'd be interesting to see if a "source code boot camp" would
> help folks overcome their initial hesitation. It sure is a steep
> mountain of knowledge to conemplate, when one is standing at the bottom.
>
> Of course, I'm not sure if having a bunch of untrained hacks descend on
> the code is exacly what's needed, but everyone has to start somewhere.
>
> Thoughts?

Hey, maybe there will be a lot of untrained hacks, but if even 1% of
those which try out become active, valuable developers to the project,
you've expanded the number of active developers.  That is also a good
thing(tm).

Your thoughts are right in line with Russell's thoughts in his post to
the mailing list.  I would encourage you to reply and get involved as
you always seem to have a lots of thoughts.... some of them are even
good! :D

Thanks,
Leif Madsen.
http://www.leifmadsen.com.