was RE: [Asterisk-Dev] Bug Tracker / Feature Requests (my take)

Jim Van Meggelen jim at vanmeggelen.ca
Sun Jan 2 23:24:23 MST 2005

Leif Madsen wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 23:08:20 -0500, Jim Van Meggelen
> <jim at vanmeggelen.ca> wrote:
>>> No.  If you're serious about knowing/learning the code you can
>>> really get a handle on it in about a month if you can understand the
>>> smallest amount of C.
>>
>> Brian, I'd like to plant a thought:
>>
>> Here's something I'd happily spend an entire day at an Astricon
>> doing: if someone were generous enough to present "a lovingly
>> painful, newbies introduction to Asterisk source code", I for one
>> would be ears, eyes and mind WIDE open. I realize that one day would
>> barely even scratch the surface, but it'd plant seeds, I'm sure of
>> that.
>>
>> Make it fast, make it cruel, don't wait up for those that can't keep
>> up, but go through some of the core stuff, some of the cool stuff,
>> some of the controversial stuff, some of whatever you personally want
>> to talk about. If everybody walks out cross-eyed, they learnt
>> something. Get some beer into them, quick, and some of it might
>> actually stick!
>>
>> I'M IN!
>
> Hi Jim!

Leif!

> I just read an email that Russell just sent to the mailing
> list.  I'll be replying to that one specifically, but since I
> had JUST read your post before his and I've been thinking
> nearly the exact same thing, I thought I should reply here as well.
>
> I personally know little C, infact, lets just assume none.

Well at least you can spell it.

> However, I'm quite interested in Asterisk, I've done a little
> bit of documentation and have been using it for over a year.
> I've been looking for something so that I can get involved in
> the code, and his post seems to be the perfect opening.
>
> As for your post specifically.  I would really like to see
> Russell and Brian West do a presentation on the code.
> Russell has been maintaining the stable code, and Brian
> didn't know any C before he started working with the Asterisk
> code, and I would consider him a major contributor.  Both are
> also well spoken.

That'd work for me. Brian's stage show at Astricon was lively and
entertaining. It'll need someone with a good stage presence to ensure
everyone stays awake for the entire day.

> So anyways, this looks like our chance to get involved, hope
> you weren't trying to call a bluff :)

I'd truly love to get my head deeper into that stuff. Actually, when you
said ". . . this looks like our chance to get involved . . ." the first
thought that popped into my head was "yeah, we can document the source
code, like every good programmer should"

Luckily, I merely thought it, and didn't actually say it out loud . . .

[I hope I didn't say that out loud just now]

> BTW:  Jim is also a major contributor to the Asterisk
> Documentation Project and would certainly not be what it is
> now without him.  Thanks Jim Van Alphabet!

LOL!

Cheers,

Jim Van Meggelen

P.S. I'm gonna start a new thread about this. When folks see the
pimpking they probably ignore the rest of the thread, assuming that it's
gonna be another flame war. This sounds like one worth discussing.