[Asterisk-Dev] Bug Tracker / Feature Requests (my take)

Jim Van Meggelen jim at vanmeggelen.ca
Sun Jan 2 21:08:20 MST 2005

asterisk-dev-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote:
>> Well, perhaps some more effort should be put on developer education,
>> so as to enable more people to develop. If the answer to "how can I
>> figure out what's going on with this SIP conversation" is "Hmm, study
>> the code for a year", then you'll get little uptake.
>
> No.  If you're serious about knowing/learning the code you
> can really get a handle on it in about a month if you can
> understand the smallest amount of C.

Brian, I'd like to plant a thought:

Here's something I'd happily spend an entire day at an Astricon doing:
if someone were generous enough to present "a lovingly painful, newbies
introduction to Asterisk source code", I for one would be ears, eyes and
mind WIDE open. I realize that one day would barely even scratch the
surface, but it'd plant seeds, I'm sure of that.

Make it fast, make it cruel, don't wait up for those that can't keep up,
but go through some of the core stuff, some of the cool stuff, some of
the controversial stuff, some of whatever you personally want to talk
about. If everybody walks out cross-eyed, they learnt something. Get
some beer into them, quick, and some of it might actually stick!

I'M IN!

Jim.