[Asterisk-Dev] Bug Tracker / Feature Requests (my take)

Leif Madsen leif.madsen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 18:45:29 MST 2005

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 19:26:00 -0600, Michael Giagnocavo
<mgg-digium at atrevido.net> wrote:
> If many users vote for a feature that already exists, then that shows a
> weakness in discoverability in the product. The 'solution' can be documented
> there. How is that a bad thing?

That isn't a bad thing.  In fact, I'm encouraging it through people
helping out with the Documentation Project (asteriskdocs.org).  There
is also the Wiki (at voip-info.org) where people can go and search
about all sorts of things.  The wiki is especially powerful as people
can login and edit a page when new information is found.  A problem I
find is that even when someone comes into IRC, has a fairly basic
question answered, I rarely see those people go and edit the Wiki or
submit something to the Documentation project.

I'm not sure what the problem is to be quite honest.  It seems as if
the community grows at an ever increasing rate, yet the amount of
documentation and code contributions seems to be relatively stagnant.

What the actual issue is, I'm uncertain.  But I do know that every
effort is made to allow users to contribute back in *some* way.  I'm
not a professional coder, but I did want to give back somehow, thus
was born the Documentation project.  Basically all I'm saying is that
there is always a way to help out.