[Asterisk-Dev] Silence suppression in asterisk/chan_sip?

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Mon Feb 28 10:29:58 MST 2005

> The changes required for Asterisk to support RFC3389 in RTP will be
> significant, and as far as I'm aware no one is working on them at this
> time. In fact, it's likely they will not really be possible to work on
> until the new jitter buffer and PLC support are in the tree, because
> those will be quite helpful.
>
> Yes, there is a chance that Asterisk will support self-timed RTP in the
> reasonable near future, but it will most certainly not be in 1.2 unless
> someone out there has a patch ready to go but hasn't announced it yet.

Interestingly enough, and a lot of people have missed this, the RTP
driver changes to zaptel timer if we are put on hold and goes back later
on when the caller comes back. This was done to support MOH. Maybe
anyone with better insight than me in the RTP driver can look and check
if that would work for silence suppression as well... Switch temporarily
to zaptel timer and then back when we get the feed from the other end...

Just a wild thought with no real insight into 3389.

/O