[Asterisk-Dev] changing codec during call

Jesse Kaijen jesse at kayen.nl
Mon Feb 28 03:44:10 MST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-dev-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-dev-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Steve Kann
Sent: vrijdag 25 februari 2005 21:20
To: Asterisk Developers Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Dev] changing codec during call

>>Also the JB_reports are getting send which are quite handy for monitoring.
>>
>>So far the only problem I have is changing codec during a call. I hope
>>the option of opening a second call isn't the solution. Because making
>>the call to the PSTN doesn't give you the option to 'open' a new call
>>and close the other.
>>
>>If I have that problem solved and let a call change codec in a neat
>>way, I will work on the monitor and ask your opinion on that one quite
>>often I'm sure of that.
>>

> Are you working in the asterisk code, or the iaxclient code?
>
> Either way, the IAX2 protocol should certainly be able to handle this,
> and iaxclient could easily be made to handle this. Asterisk may be
> another issue, because applications get the frames directly, and may
> handle (or not) translation themselves, so it may not be trivial to make
> them able to handle a call whose format has changed.

I'm working with the iaxclient code. And will try to make it work there.

With an echo-call to asterisk I can have quite some testing. I'm wondering
what is the best place in an iaxclient to do something with the returned
jb-info (your own upstream), in combination with the current status of the
jb at client side? If this discussion goes beyond the scope of the mailing
group, please mail me personally.