[Asterisk-Dev] dev conf topic: better CDRs

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at starnetworks.us
Thu Feb 24 08:55:16 MST 2005

C. Maj wrote:

> Does it rely on parsing the manager "Newexten" events ?  It
> seems like this would be a route that can co-exist with the
> current CDR system.  I think those events spit out Unique
> IDs with everything.

No, this is an entirely different CDR system, with hooks all over
everywhere inside Asterisk. Essentially, I won't be happy until my CDR
database records every detail of everything I did with the call while it
was in my possession :-) That does not work by just adding lots and lots
of fields, it requires a multi-level structure.

Unlike ForkCDR(), this will be inherent in the pbx/modules/apps, not
requiring the dialplan to create new records every time something
occurs. It will also be more light weight (the secondary records are
much smaller), and the secondary records will be identified so that they
can be kept in order (since relying on timestamps is not adequate when
many of them could be generated in a very short period of time).

I don't expect many people will be interested in such a radical change,
but I don't feel I can operate my system without being able to track
everything that's happening. I may never need 99% of the data, but when
I do, if I didn't record it when the call happened it's gone forever.